Friday, June 27, 2008

4th of July Parade Float

Sam and I belong to the Richfield Area Chamber of Commerce. Unfortunately, we both walk around with "Can't Say No" flashing across our foreheads. The Executive Officer of the Chamber had made a comment that she would like to build a float for the Chamber for the 4th of July Parade and wanted us to keep our eyes open for an old trailer or something they could use to build the float out of. I happen to be on the Richfield City 4th of July Parade Committee ("Can't Say No!") and at one of our meetings someone mentioned that someone had an old float that they wanted to get rid of. Of course, I had to open my mouth and say that the Chamber was looking for one. :) Needless to say, we are re-building a float. I wish I would have taken a picture of the float before everything was torn off, but here is a picture with just the platform re-built. The original owners had just chopped the top of the car off and welded a frame around it. I think we were all shocked that it still runs. Instead of proper supports there were things like old empty gas cans and stacks of 2X4's holding things up. Here's a picture of what it looks like now:

Fortunately we were able to round up a few guys to help - two of Sam's friends (who aren't even members of the Chamber) and two members of the Chamber who are always willing to help (there aren't too many of them around here..). When it's all decorated (still waiting for the decorations to come in the mail.....) I will post pictures of the finished product.

If anyone wants to participate in the parade, let me know! There are still about 6 spots available! It's FREE! :)


No comments: